Gynophobia, the fear and hatred(or both) of women is a rather common fear experienced mainly by men.
Other names synonymous to this phobia include: Gynephobia, Feminophobia, etc.
These fear grows down to physical touch and even sexual intercourse.
This phobia has no limits and it’s symptoms can be directed to close friends and family members (sisters and mothers inclusive) or generally all women.
Some gynophobics begin to hate commitment and marriage as a result of this phobia and find it distasteful and might be put off marriage for life.
A closely associated phobia is Venustaphobia or Caligynephobia, commonly referred to as the fear of beautiful women.
CAUSES OF GYNOPHOBIA:
Studies carried out by expert Psychiatrists have proven that gynophobia is caused by unresolved conflicts with mothers or any woman of importance in the lives of gynpphobics. Abandonment, physical abuse, domestic or sexual abuse by women in oneâ€™s childhood can cause Gynophobia which continues into late adulthood if left untreated.
Most phobics, which of a higher percentage are men, have more likelihood to view women as physical or emotional threats to them and hence avoid or fight them.
Sexual Abuse by a woman to a younger child may cause a stigma of inferiority or helplessness in a young child which might persist well into adulthood, creating a negative view of all women which is difficult to correct.
In other cases, humiliation and embarrassment caused by rejection from a women, probably publicly or in a hurtful manner creates a distrust in all women and not only in the woman concerned.
SYMPTOMS OF FEAR OF WOMEN PHOBIA:
The symptoms include both physical and psychological characteristics, which may be different from individual to individual as intensity and severity differs. They include;
* Firstly, it is important to recognize that being gay and being heterosexual are associated but are not the same. Gay men do not necessarily fear women and oppositely, most heterosexual gynophobic men can also have healthy and working relationships with women until sexual encounter is approached.
* Some people have low tolerance for women and are misappropriated women haters, they will show disdain and ill-will openly to any woman around them regardless of who they are. They associate women with with being filthy, stupid, liars and cheaters.
* Often times, ones mother or sister or a female once-trusted friend may be the cause of the phobia. The phobics starts feeling uncomfortable and cranky with women, he may go on anger tirades, question authority or even lash out physically at women around him and female colleagues.
* Many feel some physical symptoms such as: shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, sweating, dry mouth, inability to form words/sentences etc. Some phobics also scheme, make excuses or even blatantly refuse and go great lengths to associate with females.
* Sometimes, psychological disorders like schizophrenia, bipolar depression etc can also lead to Gynophobia.
* Some hormonal or sexual dysfunctional problems might lead to gynophobia, as the men involved fail to get proper erections or maintain one, and hence hate or fear sexual intercourse with a woman.
In treating and overcoming the fear of women, the first line of hope is to decipher the origin of the Anxiety or panic causing gynophobia and how to keep it under check.
Some processes are:
* Cognitive Behaviour therapy has proven to be an efficient approach in curing gynophobia. Also, psychotherapy and talk therapy are also powerful aids.
* Hypnotherapy and hypnoanalysis are other techniques that explores the depths of the phobic’s mind to determine the origin of the phobia.
* Counseling, gradual exposure therapy and Neuro linguistic programming or NLP can also help one get rid of Gynophobia for a long period of time.
Other methods include drug therapy, it is not safe as it offers short term relief and may cause side effects such as withdrawal.
Family and trusted friends can also form support groups and help the phobic get control over his phobia.